Struggling with male pattern hair loss? Here are a few treatment options.
Are you seeing more hair than you like in your comb? Maybe you have noticed some thinning hair. As a man, hair loss may feel quite devastating.
In this post, we will be discussing why male pattern hair loss or male pattern baldness (alopecia areata) happens and what are some medical treatments that you can try! We will also be discussing each option so that you can decide which one is best for you.
Let’s open the discussion with the different types of hair loss treatment in Singapore.
TOPICAL TREATMENTS FOR MALE PATTERN HAIR LOSS IN SINGAPORE
As the name suggests these are treatments that you apply to your scalp. They come in many forms, including creams, serums, foams, and shampoos. Topical hair loss treatments are plenty in Singapore and it can be a bit overwhelming. But no worries, your doctor will be able to walk you through the process and the products, eventually landing on the right one.
How do topical treatments for male pattern hair loss work?
Simply speaking, topical treatments help the hair follicle to stay in the growth phase for a longer time. This way, the hair strand does not fall off quickly.
What is the active ingredient in most topical treatments for male pattern hair loss?
You may have heard the name before or read it at the back of a box. The most used active ingredient is minoxidil. Minoxidil works by slowing hair loss which is the ultimate goal!
Pros of topical treatments for male pattern hair loss
- Many Topical treatments are available over the counter.
- They are affordable.
- Works great on hereditary hair loss
- Great option for the under 40s group.
- Awesome if you have caught your hair loss early, preventing complete baldness.
Cons of topical treatments for male pattern hair loss
- It may not be as effective as you want it to be if you have already lost a significant amount of your crowning glory.
- They usually have to be used every day, sometimes twice a day, depending on the product. So, if you're not into routines, you may have trouble staying the course.
- Usually takes months to work.
My top advice is that if you decide to use topical treatments, be consistent. Stick to the regime so that you do not worsen your results.
ORAL TREATMENTS FOR MALE PATTERN HAIR LOSS IN SINGAPORE
If you think that topical treatments are not for you, you may want to consider pills. They are prescribed so you will have to take oral treatments under the supervision of your doctor.
How do oral treatments for male pattern hair loss work?
Oral treatments work differently from topical treatments. That's because they have different active ingredients. The active ingredient in most oral treatments is Finasteride. You may not know it by that name but the popular brands that come to mind are Propecia and Proscar.
Pros of oral treatments for male pattern hair loss
- This treatment is convenient. You can take your pill anywhere.
- Works well on androgenic alopecia.
Cons of oral treatments for male pattern hair loss
- Oral hair loss treatments are more on the pricey side.
- Often stopping the treatment means the hair loss comes back.
- Oral treatments may affect your sex drive.
HAIR LOSS INJECTIONS FOR MALE PATTERN HAIR LOSS IN SINGAPORE
So yes, this hair loss treatment involves needles. If you are squeamish about needles, this treatment is probably not for you. Let's start off with all hair loss injections are not the same. There are 2 leading types of hair loss injections namely Regenera Activa and steroid injections.
Pros of hair loss injections for male pattern hair loss
- It can be combined safely with other hair loss treatments.
- Meant to boost blood flow to the affected area resulting in increased hair growth.
- No downtime
Cons of hair loss injections male pattern hair loss
- Well, it involves needles, so it is invasive.
- There is not much data about its effectiveness. Results seem to vary depending on the individual.
- Risk of infection
- Injury to blood vessels and nerves
- Calcification at the injection site
Now, let's take a look at Steroid injections. Steroid injections work by reducing inflammation in any area. Sometimes there is inflammation around your hair follicle. If you can eliminate that inflammation, your hair will begin to grow back. You have to be patient though; it usually takes some time to see progress.
Pros of steroid injections for male pattern hair loss
- Works well on certain types of alopecia.
- Quick procedure
- Usually given around once a month
- No downtime
- Can be used with other hair loss treatments for hair loss in men and women.
Cons of steroid injections for male pattern hair loss
- Invasive needles
- Risk of infection
- Steroids sometimes have unpleasant side effects, including medical conditions like high blood pressure.
HAIR TRANSPLANT FOR MALE PATTERN HAIR LOSS IN SINGAPORE
In Singapore, there are 2 leading types of hair transplant techniques:
- Follicular unit strip surgery (STRIP method)
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE).
If you opt to have the strip method done, a strip of skin will be taken from the back of your head. Don't worry, nobody is going to notice. The strip will then be separated into grafts and transplanted into areas that you are experiencing hair loss.
The FUE technique is a bit different. Your surgeon will shave the area with healthy hair and take the hair follicles that you need one by one. If it sounds labor-intensive, it is. Then the follicles are implanted in the area that needs the boost.
If you decide to take the hair transplant plunge, there are a few things you should know first:
Pros of hair transplant
- Cost-effective; it's a one-time cost instead of several bills for long-term therapy.
- Results usually look fantastic.
- Promotes natural hair growth
Cons of hair transplant
- Possibility of infection
- Sometimes transplanted hair dies before they can really get going (well that's disappointing).
Male Pattern Hair loss does not have to be your fate. There are so many options. Hair loss treatment in Singapore is extremely accessible. All you need to do Is find the one that is right for you. It may take some experimenting. But we have every confidence that with a bit of patience and stick-to-itiveness you can conquer male pattern hair loss. Good Luck!
- York K, Meah N, Bhoyrul B, Sinclair R. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2020 Apr;21(5):603-612. doi: 10.1080/14656566.2020.1721463. Epub 2020 Feb 17. PMID: 32066284
- Badran KW, Sand JP. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 2018 Nov;26(4):469-485. doi: 10.1016/j.fsc.2018.06.008. Epub 2018 Aug 16. PMID: 30213428
- Goren A, Naccarato T. Dermatol Ther. 2018 Sep;31(5):e12686. doi: 10.1111/dth.12686. Epub 2018 Aug 28. PMID: 30155952
This article was written and medically reviewed by Dr Ben, M.D on 11/07/21