Implanon is a contraceptive implant that’s inserted into a woman’s arm and can last up to 3 years, with a 99% efficacy rate.
Are you and your partner both busy with work and need a birth control option that suits your lifestyles the best?
Allow me to recommend the Implanon contraceptive implant. As you go about your daily lives and are not quite ready to start your family, you need birth control that is reliable – one that does not quite require constant compliance, like the birth control pill.
With Implanon, you take away the anxiety from potentially missing a pill as well as the pain from inserting an IUD.
Here’s why working couples should consider birth control if they are not ready to have children yet, and why Implanon makes a great choice.
1. Working couples are typically busy
As we get more busy, our hectic work schedules leave very little room for other commitments, including children. As such, some working couples choose to delay their family plans till both are ready financially and mentally.
2. Raising a kid is expensive
Need I say more? To raise a child, you need to be financially stable – so if you’re not ready, make sure you have a trusty birth control option.
3. The Implanon contraceptive implant is extremely effective.
It has a 99% efficacy rate. This means that you and your partner don't have to worry once the implant is installed. Implanon is a 4 cm contraceptive implant that is inserted into a woman's inner upper arm.
4. Implanon is effective for 3 years1.
This means that working couples can go about their lives without the risk of an unplanned pregnancy.
However, you and your partner should be aware that the implant loses its efficacy after the 3-year period expires.
So, remember to have your implant replaced as soon as the 3 years are over. If for some reason there is a delay, use backup contraception like condoms or the emergency pill.
You should set a reminder on your phone or other electronic devices so that you don't miss the date!
5. Actual periods improve
As a working female, I’m sure sometimes period symptoms can really affect your productivity. Women with severe symptoms often have to take time off from work to cope. The Implanon contraceptive implant sometimes stops vaginal bleeding altogether or significantly reduces bleeding2 and symptoms. Naturally, this also eliminates cramping.
6. Acne improves
There is nothing more abysmal than adult acne. It is often stubborn and can really be difficult to get under control. Those who have used the Implanon contraceptive implant have noticed that their acne clears right up!
7. Fertility returns to normal after removal
Often, patients wonder if contraception affects fertility. This is not true at all. With Implanon, as soon as the implant is removed, you can start trying to conceive.
8. Implanon is safe even during breastfeeding
Studies show that contraceptive implants, including Implanon, are safe and effective during breastfeeding with no negative effects on the infant.
9. An Implanon contraceptive implant can be removed at any time
Once you are ready to start a family, you can get your Implanon implant removed easily. You don't have to wait for a particular time to have it removed.
10. Best contraceptive option if you do not tolerate estrogen well
If you have had problems with birth control methods that use estrogen, this might be the perfect option for you. Contraceptives that utilize estrogen are the combined pill, vaginal ring, and the patch. The Implanon contraceptive implant uses progestogen3 only.
Are there any side effects that working couples should be aware of?
Birth control is a decision that you make with your partner as such you should be both aware of the possible side effects. As Implanon is inserted into the woman’s arm, she may experience:
- Some slight bruising where the implant was inserted, but this usually clears up in about a week or so
- Breast tenderness
- Change in mood
The good news is that the longer you have the implant in, the less noticeable these side effects become. Also, women are usually happy to hear that it does not cause weight gain.
Is the Implanon Contraceptive implant suitable for everyone?
Implanon is not recommended for those with the following health complaints:
- Serious liver diseases. This includes Hepatitis A, B, and C, fatty liver disease, cirrhosis, liver cancer, hemochromatosis, and Wilson disease.
- On certain medications such as antibiotics, anti-HIV drugs, anti-seizure drugs, anti-fungal medications, and some natural remedies.They can affect the efficacy of your implant, so please communicate your medical history to your doctor.
As you can see, Implanon is a fantastic contraceptive for working couples. It offers the reliability and convenience that busy working couples want. Make an appointment with your doctor today to have your implant inserted and start enjoying the benefits!
- Fischer MA. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2008 May-Jun;37(3):361-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1552-6909.2008.00247.x. PMID: 18507609
- Mansour D, Korver T, Marintcheva-Petrova M, Fraser IS. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2008 Jun;13 Suppl 1:13-28. doi: 10.1080/13625180801959931. PMID: 18330814
- Newberry YG. Nurs Womens Health. 2007 Dec;11(6):607-11. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-486X.2007.00252.x. PMID: 18088298
This article was written and medically reviewed by Dr Ben, M.D on 21/01/21